Sunday, February 8, 2015

#151: See a Broadway Musical


   Being a theater geek this was something that I was beyond excited to be able to experience! My first time seeing a Broadway show was on an 8th Grade trip to the East Coast. On the last night of our tour we went to see The Phantom of the Opera, which remains to this day one of my favorite shows of all time. It was one of the most beautiful things that I have ever experienced, most of the other kids on our trip fell asleep for some unknown reason, but my best friend and I were completely sucked in to the beautiful show that is Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber.
  After this I watched several other Broadway shows while they went on tour. I have yet to be disappointed with a single on of them. In Seattle I have seen The Lion King, Grease, Phantom (again), Mamma Mia, and Wicked (two times). The opening number of the Lion King completely took my breath away. Not only were the actors amazing at making their animals come to life, but they also had a giant elephant that roamed through the audience, that came our of no where. The singers were also very impressive and reminded me of how beautiful live theater can me if you let it take you away. And of course if you know anything about musicals, you have heard about the beauty that is is Wicked. I managed to win tickets to sit in the first few rows instead of being stuck up in nosebleeds that I usually tend to settle for. This made my first experience seeing this show even more wonderful than I could possibly imagine.
   I went back to New York City my Senior year of High School to do a choir concert. Of course while we were there it was hard not to go and see another show. This time we went and saw Mamma Mia! which is the sort of show that makes it almost impossible to stay in your seat. Not only is the music ridiculously catchy, but the energy of the cast is always something that leaves you wanting more. Which of course you do get after the curtain call in the encore where they all replace their beach where with metallic disco suits and have some fun with more ABBA songs.
   Of course I can't wait to go back again someday and see some more shows up on that big stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment